Thursday, July 18, 2013

I am the kind of Juror You Want

I am not someone with my head stuck in the sand. I admit that there is a racial component to the Zimmerman trial. Anyone that doesn't see that is either blind, delusional, or just plain stupid. But to say that it is all about race also shows your lack of understanding of what went on.
The bottom line is this: Did Zimmerman murder Trayvon Martin? Maybe he did. I am not sure either way. He put himself in that position and he shot him dead. That much we are all sure of. That doesn't make him a murderer. It makes him an idiot. If he had shot him in the back as he was running away, that would make him guilty of murder. In fact, if he had shot him at all in any other position than being pinned to the ground with his skull being bashed then likely I would have convicted him as well. The facts seem to point to the conclusion that he was pinned and he likely would have been beaten to death if he didn't do something about it. That he put himself in that position doesn't matter. Not according to the law.
But here is what I am certain of. I am white. I will always be white. And I would never harm a person just because they are black, or any other race. I would never convict a man for murder when there is a very reasonable doubt that it wasn't murder, but could have been self defense. Even if he brought it on himself, which he did. It is still self defense. That is what the law says.
I am white, and I am exactly the type of juror you would want on the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman trial. Because I would decide the case on the facts, and follow the law, as I would have been instructed to do and had taken a sworn oath to do.
You know who I wouldn't want on that jury? Black people who would find Zimmerman guilty, no matter what, because our culture is still very racist in many ways. While that is true, it isn't relevant to the case or the verdict. I would be more than happy to have 12 black jurors, as long as they are willing to follow the rules of the law that they will be sworn to do. Based on the statements of some of the jurors, we know that didn't happen. That doesn't have to do with them being white, it has to do with the fact that they ignored their oath. They weren't the first to do that, they won't be the last. That isn't about race, that is about people. Stupid, biased and incompetent people who have no business deciding the fate of someones life, or if someones life was taken away by murder. Or not.
I am the type of juror you want on that jury. Or any other jury. 
I am educated, I am rational and a logical thinker. I don't let emotion or my bias get in the way of determining guilt or innocence. Exactly what you want a juror to do.
And I am white. So, I think all of you emotional, irrational types should just shut the fuck up with all your claims that Zimmerman got away with murder. You don't know that. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. He is an idiot and a wannabe. We can all agree on that. He brought this on himself. We can all agree on that. None of that makes him guilty of murder. That is the law. I can see that, why can't you?
He made reasonable doubt, easily. That is all that matters. No matter what the color of the jury, they took an oath to determine that. 
It, in fact, would be racist to find him guilty, based on the facts of the case.
If you don't like the system, then change the system with your votes and get the laws changed. That is what you can do. But it is much easier to be a whiner and say the world is racist and a murderer went free. That just simply isn't true, based on the laws as they stand.
In the meantime, if you plan to serve on a jury, you will follow the rules that our society has determined. Made by lawmakers that were elected with your votes. If you can't do that, don't be on a jury. I don't care what color you are, you are not capable of performing that task.
I am white, and I am capable. If I was black, I still would be.

No comments:

About Me

Daily profile about a specific artist,their life, their work and their impact