Saturday, November 17, 2018

No time left for me and harness racing.



No time left for you On my way to better things
(No time left for you) I found myself some wings
(No time left for you) Distant roads are callin' me
(No time left for you)









One thing you learn about life as you age, and hopefully have gained some wisdom along the way, is that there is only so much time in your day, your week, your overall life, to do the things you want to, that please you and that further your goals and aspirations.
We all have to sleep. To eat. To work. There are family considerations, possibly for kids or grandkids. And then there is the time left over for fun, for hobbies, for interests that bring added value pleasure to your life.
Harness racing was that for me, going on 35 years now. I started as a fan who knew zip. I learned a bit, then got good at it, but then had to put my time into University, and after that, earning a living. Racing was still there, but it was secondary. I started to make good money, so I progressed to owner. That was fun for a while, then it really was not, so I exited that.
I decided to give that part another go about 3 or 4 years later, and that was fun again. Then I decided I would try training, which I always wanted to try and knew I would be good at, which I was. Until it was apparent that the cheaters were not beatable and I would risk my families finances if I continued to fight with them. So, I stopped that. Cold in fact one day.
I went back to work, built my finances back up, and then edged back into betting. I have always enjoyed that aspect most, the challenge of solving puzzles, and getting paid for it. I still do.
But along the way this time, I have realized that when it comes to harness racing, its a futile attempt to achieve. I'm good at it, but no matter what I do, I don't get paid enough for my effort, not as much as I should get paid. There is no fun in being ripped off, or given less than you deserve.
Lately, I've edged towards T breds. This is where the problem comes to a head. There just isn't enough time to play both, on the level I like to do it. As well, to try and do that, you have to sacrifice family time and time with your friends. They just make it so difficult that its not worth it. I had planned to try Pompano this winter, as it seemed a good fit in all respects, but they have completely shown me that there is no product out there for the player, when it comes to harness racing. It impossible to watch and bet, period.
So, its come time to choose. To choose to completely walk away from harness racing, cold turkey. Will I be back? I doubt it, but I never say no in absolute terms to things like this. Maybe it somehow finds me again. But as of now, I have lost interest and the challenge isn't worth the effort anymore. Its time to stop.
Today, I move exclusively to T breds, and if they go the route harness racing has, which I see signs of, then it will be only sports betting, which I am going to dabble in for now to see how it goes.
This should be a wake up call for racing. If a guy like me, a died in the wool harness racing junkie can just walk away, it wont be long until its not viable on hardly any level. I hung in 35 years, which is 66 percent of my current entire life. But, they have made it so intolerable, that I have to divorce it from my existence.
I just don't have the time for it anymore and can't justify it on any variable that could change my mind.
No time left for me. Time is up.

No comments:

About Me

Daily profile about a specific artist,their life, their work and their impact