Wednesday, November 23, 2011

It's just a fucking word.


 "It's only words, and words are all I have"


 Most of us curse. Some of us curse a lot. Some of us try not to but do it on occasion. I have known very few people in my life who never cursed at all.
I admit that I do it. Not all the time, and I know the time and place, but I certainly do it. I try not to use it out of context, or be over the top about it, but if the shoe fits, I will use the words.
George Carlin pointed out how there were seven words you could not use in the media back in the day.



For the longest time, using the word "ass" was considered cursing. You could not use it on television and rarely heard it on radio. That was years ago. Today, hardly a day goes by when you don't hear the phrases:

"he's a dumb ass"
"ha ha, smart ass"
"shut up asshole"
"lmao"




These are now part of culture and rarely get a raised eyebrow from anybody.


So why do we use these words? 
In my mind, words are supposed to mean something, to describe something. If you are calling someone a smart ass, or dumb ass or an asshole, you are making a statement. Sure, there are other words you can use, but these are commonly understood. That is what language is all about. Communication and understanding.
The problem lies in how these words are used. At some point, if they are used excessively, as rants, then they just become something most don't want to listen to. In many cases, I find some rap music to fall into this category.



Of course,  while many words, like ass..and to some extent cock and tits have become mainstream enough to not garner too much interest, the granddaddy of them all has not reached that point.



We have all used it. We have all said it. We have all been told it at some point. While it is commonly used language, we still get our ears perked when we see it or hear it. It is a statement word. A statement that can be made in many ways based on what other word is attached and how it is used. And in which situation it is used.
I made a friend on facebook a while back. When I friended her, she warned me that she curses a lot and some have issues with that. I explained to her that I had seen her posts and it didn't bother me one bit. Nor would it ever. I noticed she used it in context, and it wasn't the only word she ever used. She used it with purpose and meaning. In that event, I would never have a problem with her. And haven't. Fuck, is just another word to me. It's just a fucking word, just like any other word. It is the intention and the usage that gets my interest more than anything. Below are a few examples.

SHUT THE FUCK UP

We all feel like saying this to some people. Just saying shut up doesn't have the same effect. Adding fuck is neccesary. It is so commonplace now that it has its own short form STFU. I have never had any issue with this phrase. The shoe almost always fits when I hear it or see it written. It can be light, or very direct and threatening. Either way, it is a phrase that means something.


THAT IS FUCKING AWESOME

Maybe a tad excessive, and unnecesary, but  still not offensive and has become a slang phrase that expresses how much someone likes something. In most cases, the person who it is directed to appreciates adding fucking to the phrase. In the old days, many used the word Totally, but that seems to have been replaced.



YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT

Again,  similar to Shut the fuck up, just saying someone is an idiot doesn't carry the same weight or emphasis as adding fucking idiot. It's a must if you want to express how much you think the person is a total fool.



FUCK OFF

Saying "get lost" or "go away" just doesn't carry the same weight. It's a must. When a point has to be made, its a go to phrase.




FUCK ME, I WANT YOU TO FUCK ME

Sometimes the other person just isn't taking the hint. Saying you want to be intimate or romantic is not enough. And furthermore, in the heat of the moment and passion, you hear this phrase a lot. It can be a big turn on for some couples. I admit I like it. It expresses passion. Even the nicest of girls have uttered this phrase during sex.



MOTHERFUCKER


 There is rarely any doubt when you hear this that there is some tension between two parties. I can't think of an instance when this can be taken as a positive.




There are words I refuse to use. Cunt, nigger and twat are three that came right to my mind as I wrote this blog. These are three words that are insulting, degrading and hurtful. If it got to the point where I was in the frame of mind to use these, I simply would not communicate with the person. They are very descriptive words that show anger and/or a total lack of respect. I would almost go so far as to end a friendship with someone who would use these words more than once. And I have done that. When words become insulting, disrespectful and degrading it shows the character of the person who uses them.


When every other word is fuck this or fuck that, that is really when I have an issue with it. It is just weak language and while it may not be offensive, it is hard to communicate with such a person.

Otherwise, anything fucking goes as far as I'm fucking concerned.

No comments:

About Me

Daily profile about a specific artist,their life, their work and their impact