I have to admit. Kim Kardashian is just a name to me. I have no idea if she ever did anything to justify her status as a superstar draw who is watched by millions and reported on by TV Entertainment "news" shows.
I know very little about her at all. I know she and her sisters, and maybe family have a reality tv show that profiles their "lives". I know she is Bruce Jenner's stepdaughter, and I certainly know who he is. Long before he was on tv selling products and starring in shows that nobody remembers or ever really cared about, he was a superb Olympic Athlete who won many gold medals at the 1976 Olympics. He actually did something worth bragging about and reporting. He achieved something.
In light of the latest Kardashian hoopla about her ill fated short marriage and now pending divorce, after an astonishing 72 days, I decided to look her up to see what she has actually done to justify this attention. I expected to find that really she has done nothing and of course, I was right.
Kardashian first rose to fame in February 2007 when she starred in a sex tape with R&B singer Ray J. In October 2007 she along with her two sisters, mother, brother, half-sisters, and stepfather starred in the E! television series, Keeping Up with the Kardashians. As of October 2011, the series has aired 69 episodes over six seasons. She became friends with Paris Hilton, who introduced her to the socialite scene.---from Wikipedia
Of course, now it all makes sense. Paris Hilton. The poster child for someone who did nothing at all, other than be born into the Hotel fortune that her ancestors built, and parlayed that into her fame. And yes, Paris's claims to fame are her reality tv show and her sex tape (s).
Below is some of her important accomplishments:
- In December 2007, Kardashian posed nude for Playboy.
- She then starred in the 2008 disaster film spoof Disaster Movie as Lisa.
- She also appeared on the Season 3 premiere of the series 90210 with her sisters Khloé and Kourtney; they all played themselves.
- was a guest hostess of WrestleMania XXIV and appeared as a guest judge during Cycle 13 of America's Next Top Model.
- Kardashian was one of 13 participants on the seventh season of Dancing with the Stars. She was the third contestant voted off the show finishing in 11th place overall.
- in 2009, Kardashian released a workout DVD series, Fit In Your Jeans By Friday, with trainers Jennifer Galardi and Patrick Goudeau.
- Famous Cupcakes, a Los Angeles bakery, created a vanilla cupcake mix for Kardashian. The cupcake flavor is called Va-Va-Va-Nilla.
- Kardashian is the producer of The Spin Crowd, a reality television show about Command PR, a New York City public relations firm, run by Jonathan Cheban and Simon Huck. The show follows them as they settle into their new offices in Los Angeles. Kardashian is friends with both, specifically Cheban, and frequently appears on her reality shows.
In February 2007, a pornographic home video she made with singer Ray J was leaked. Vivid Entertainment bought the rights for $1 million and released the film. Kardashian sued Vivid for ownership of the tape. In late April 2007, Kardashian dropped the suit and settled with Vivid Entertainment for $5 million
Seems to me the best way to make the most money is to make a sex tape, then become popular enough for people to want to see it. Finally, the last piece of the puzzle is to then get paid ridiculous sums of money for that tape, and then go wherever you can to get paid more money because you made a sex tape.
....and..when that doesn't work anymore....
Kardashian then began dating NBA player Kris Humphries of the New Jersey Nets in October 2010. They became engaged in May 2011,and married on August 20, 2011. It was reported that Kardashian and Humphries would make $17.9 million from the nuptials, and that they paid nothing of the $20 million costs associated with it.
Some news outlets have surmised that the marriage was actually a publicity stunt to promote the Kardashian brand and television ventures. (ya think!)
In June 2010, The Guardian commented on her ability to attract payments of up to US$10,000 from sponsors for each tweet that she broadcasts, noting that she is "an American reality TV star whose sole talent lies in her large rump".
She is a star or reality tv shows because of her popularity on reality tv shows. America was once a great country. It is shocking to me that it has fallen from grace and its lofty perch.