Sunday, July 1, 2012

Garage Sales

On my daily walk today, I passed a garage sale. You see them all the time in the summer. You know you are near one when you see so many cars parked on the street. Either that, or someone is selling a very in-demand house.
I have never gotten the concept of garage sales. You have so much of your own stuff you never use and need to get rid of, yet you go to someone else's house, look through their stuff, stuff they don't want anymore,  and are willing to pay them for some of it.
I think we have a fascination with "other peoples stuff". Things we might have wanted when we were younger, but never acquired, but always thought we should have. Now, we stumble upon the chance to have that stuff at a very reduced price. We may not even have the desire for it anymore but in spite of that, on an impulse, we buy it. Then we get it home, look at it, maybe ponder the memories it conjures up for us, then put it away.
The only time it will resurface is at the garage sale we will all eventually have one day, when we then pass that on to someone else.
Maybe it is not about the stuff, it is about the memories. I don't know. As I said, I don't understand the concept of a garage sale, from the buyers perspective.

No comments:

About Me

Daily profile about a specific artist,their life, their work and their impact