Friday, November 9, 2012

Being Crappy Makes You Crappy


 About 3 months ago we were shopping at the local grocery store and when we got home I noticed that although we bought 2 separate packs of sour Ju Jubes, which are identical, same brand and size, they were priced differently. A lot different. The regular price is $2.99. One was priced as that, while the other was priced at  $5.99. As well, one pack had regular jubes mixed in with the sour ones. The sour ones are more expensive and for good reason. A lot of people prefer them. I am one of them.
When we checked the bill later at home, both were charged to us a $2.99 so there was no extra costs involved. However, the next time at the store I was careful to look and see if this was some sort of fluke. It wasn't. I noticed that about a 1/3 of the packages were marked wrong. I made sure to take only the ones that were priced right. However, again some were not sour. 
Another week later the packages again were not priced right, but this time the sour ones were only sour ones. I again only took those which were priced properly, and said nothing.
The fourth time, which was now four weeks later, still the product was not priced right. As I was sorting through them, I noticed a stock boy stocking something else. I got his attention and showed him the mistake. He seemed surprised, but quickly began to remove the   $5.99 product. I thought that would be the end of it. Someone would do something to make sure it didn't happen again and would be watching for it as new stock came in and they were re-stocking the shelves. 
Again, that didn't happen.
It is now 2 months later, and still the pricing is out of whack. I could say something again, but really what is the point? They simply don't care enough to bother.
It got me to thinking about pride in  your work and those that complain they never get ahead in life.
When I was younger, in my mid 20's I lost my pretty good job and had it rough for about 3 or 4 years. At one point, I had to take a very menial job, being a stock boy at an Auto Parts store a friend of my mothers owned. I did this for about a year and a half until I decided it was time to get ahead again. 
However, while I was there, I did my best and used every skill I had to do the best job that could be done. That meant doing my daily duties, picking stock for orders, shipping and receiving, keeping things organized, but it also included making things better where I could. I didn't have to do that. I wasn't getting paid the manage the store. But when I saw something that needed doing,  I did it. I simply refused to do a crappy job, even though I could have gotten away with it.  
When it came time to leave that job, the owner asked me why I was going. I told him I just didn't want to do this type of job the rest of my life. He understood that. But he also knew that while I was there, I did my best and he got more than his money's worth. 
There are reasons why people have crappy jobs and never advance in life.
The reason you are doing your crappy job is that you are doing a crappy job at your crappy job. Good people don't do crappy work, no matter how crappy the task is. If they do their best, eventually they will have opportunity to move up the ladder, if that is what they want to do.
Not in all cases,  but in most.
And those that complain about their crappy jobs are almost always the ones who cannot or refuse to do these very easy jobs well. If you can't do these well, then nobody is going to give you a chance to do better.




No comments:

About Me

Daily profile about a specific artist,their life, their work and their impact