Most of us are appalled when we hear about the things that Monsanto does. The bullying, food hogging, putting a patent on life. The lying. Buying government officials. Lying about the effects of their chemicals. Covering up the effects of the chemicals. The list goes on and on.
As much as we hate it, it seems they are so powerful that there is nothing we can do about it. That would be where we are wrong. We can do lots about it without much effort or change of lifestyle.
Here are 5 things we can all do to stop them. It may take a while, but it is easy to stop them. As with anything, it all boils down to money. Take money out of their pockets and they will listen. They have no choice. That is the only power you have left, your buying power.
1. Make any politician aware that they are being watched. If they support Monsanto and their attempts to gain control and modify the food supply and chain they will be outed and they will be on the wrong side of the issue. Right now they think siding with Monsanto is the easiest way to keep riding the gravy train. Make them believe that is the worst thing they can do, and they will flip flop to the other side. There was a time when lawmakers siding with big Tobacco. Remember that.
2. Don't buy any product that contains anything that Monsanto produces. For example, they have gained control of Canola Oil Seeds. Don't buy any Canola Oil. No demand, no need to plant the seeds. They become worthless. There are lots of cooking oils that don't have GMO seeds. Buy them. Olive oil and sunflower oil are two off the top of my head. It isn't that hard to find options that don't cost you any more money. Find them. Make an effort. Stop talking and start acting, or stop complaining about it. Complaining does no good. They count on you yapping then just going out and buying anyway. Make them see you are more than just a whiner and take action.
3. Don't buy any financial product that contains their stock. Drive the stock price down. Let it be known that it is a poison stock. No capital, no capability to buy companies, create monopolies and buy politicians. If you tell mutual fund managers that the stock is viewed as a fund killer they will ditch it immediately. Stock prices these days are based more on market demand than actual company performance. You have the power to drive them into a penny stock if you wish. Doing that will let them know you have the power, they don't.
4. Social media. Monsanto cannot stop anyone from creating a Facebook page to spread info that is true. You have 500 friends...let them all know what they are being subjected to and make sure they understand how important it is to tell everyone they know. They cannot stop any of us from doing this. People have knowledge..they can make more informed decisions. Give them options. Tell them specific products to avoid and which ones to buy. Make it easy for them to comply. People like causes..causes that are easy to support. Make it easy. Make them realize they can do it. They can control the labeling on the package, they can't control the information on the internet. We can very easily reach the masses on the internet.
5. Spend a bit more to make sure that GMO's don't gain market share. If that means you pay $7 for olive oil once every 3 months instead of $4 for canola oil, then do it. It isn't much money to make sure your way of life is insured. Do as much as you can. If you do, they will get the message. Money talks. They will listen to that, and only that.
Let's send a message to the Monsanto's and their kind. You try to mess up our lives, we have ways to fight back and you don't own us or everything.