Thursday, April 11, 2013

Does writer identity effect content perception?

I read all sorts of articles and blogs. From N.Y. Times pieces to blogs from amateur writers just trying to make and find their way. And everything in between.
When you read a blog or article, do you think you are influenced by who the writer is? I would say yes. And then, if you follow this logic line along, would you tend to give it more credibility because of certain perceptions you have of that author? I would say the likely answer to that question is yes as well.
Those perceptions can be based on many things. Gender, race, past performance, status, the type of organization they work for, or just many variables. Most likely, a combination of all of them.
Is that a good thing? I don't think so.
Lately, because I read so many blogs and articles (sometimes more than 20 per day) I have been saving them in one file, and altering them in my own way to make them readable at a faster rate. When I do that, many times when I go back I don't remember who the writer of the blog or article was.
That got me thinking. Maybe we should have a website where people present articles or blogs without a byline or hint of who the writer is and where it came from. Read the material, and judge it solely on the material. Then, afterwards, if the reader wants to know who wrote it,  have a link they can go to and show them.
What are your thoughts on this?

No comments:

About Me

Daily profile about a specific artist,their life, their work and their impact