Saturday, November 3, 2012

Stepping on Live Grenades


I am a responder. That is what I do. Naturally. 
I don't even think about. I see something,  and if I have something to offer (at least think I have something to offer)  I respond to it. Many times before I even realize I am stepping on a live grenade.
Do I wish that I had more restraint in the matter? Maybe. I don't know. I like being me. But it isn't easy.
It is instinct with me. It is my first reaction, before I have any ability or desire to check myself, in my own self interest to avoid getting major flak back.
Am I right all the time? Certainly not. If I am wrong, will I admit that? Always. Am I right a lot of the time? Yes, because I try to use facts and logic when I express myself. Am I opinionated?
Extremely. But I, in most cases, base my opinion on facts. Sadly, I can't say the same for most.
We are all born the way we are born. I do know this: 
I am willing to say things to people that others wish they would say but don't have the guts to say it. I am not likely going to be the friend that tells you what you want to hear just to make you happy. I am going to be the one that tells you the truth, even when you don't want to hear that. 
Is that in my personal best interest? No, likely it isn't. Would I be more popular and liked more if I did so? Probably. Will I then stop saying what I think, what I feel, how I see it, just to make and keep friends? Not likely.
Will I begin to start thinking twice before I hit the send button, both on facebook and in real life? I already have begun to do that. Not always, because my first inclination is to respond and I don't go out of my way to restrain myself. But more and more, I am catching myself and realizing it isn't worth it to tell someone something they don't want to hear in the first place.
I have learned that stepping on live grenades ends up with stuff blowing up in your face. And that isn't good.







No comments:

About Me

Daily profile about a specific artist,their life, their work and their impact